
I just finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for the first time. I think it's AWFUL! I know it's suppose to be "classic" literature, but I think it's very poorly written (which makes sense since it was Mary Shelley's first...and only...novel...and she was a teenager when she wrote it). One of my biggest issues with the book is that it's predominantly made up of male characters, but they are all so effeminate and emo. The whole book is emo. It makes me think that it might have been the Twilight of its era (only not as easy to read). Also, Shelley's drivel about sweeping vistas and majestic mountains is just plain boring to read. It's wonderful to see, but I don't want to read about it!
Surprisingly enough, as much as I did not like the style of this book, it presents so many issues that one can't help but talk about it. We were suppose to discuss it tonight in my Lit. Appreciation class, but the class got cut short for game 7 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Therefore, you all get a tiny taste of my opinion of this book.
3 comments:
Go ahead and speak your mind, Ardie....what did you really think? :) I've not read it. Never really wanted to, but that's interesting to hear your less than stellar report on such a well known classic. Hey--any suggestions on classics good for the 5th or 6th grade reading level?
I have to read it next year in my AP English class. I'm not too excited now. :/
hahahaha - "the Twilight of its era, only not as easy to read" LOVE it! You are so right!
and, only in Canada would class be cut short for the Stanley cup. ;)
Post a Comment