This first list is made up of 10 highly recommended and loved classic adventure stories for children ages 9-12. (However, you adults might like some of these books, too.)
1. Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)
2. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
3. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
4. The Cay by Theodore Taylor
5. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
6. Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
7. Poppy by Avi
8. Call It Courage by Armstrong Perry
9. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
10. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
2. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
3. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
4. The Cay by Theodore Taylor
5. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman
6. Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
7. Poppy by Avi
8. Call It Courage by Armstrong Perry
9. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
10. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
Now, I must confess that I haven't read a lot of these. I just know they are highly recommended by both professionals and children. I'm afraid that children's adventure stories have never held much interest for me. However, I am slowly brushing up my knowledge in this area.
My next lists will be comprised of (and they will all be classic children's books):
Until then, keep reading!
ps. I linked the titles and authors to NoveList K-8, but now realize that the links might not work since it's a database that requires special permission to access. So, if you want to know more about a book, check it out on Amazon or Goodreads.
My next lists will be comprised of (and they will all be classic children's books):
- historic fiction
- realistic fiction
- Fantasy
- Horror
- Mysteries
- Science Fiction
- And finally, a general Must Read list
Until then, keep reading!
ps. I linked the titles and authors to NoveList K-8, but now realize that the links might not work since it's a database that requires special permission to access. So, if you want to know more about a book, check it out on Amazon or Goodreads.
2 comments:
this looks like a great summer reading program to have with my kids! thanks for the suggestions.
You are awesome! Luckily, my girlies love just about every genre out there. My oldest has actually read a couple on the list already, so it's good to know we're on the right track. Thanks Ardie-you're the best!
Post a Comment