Friday, March 25, 2011

My Plug: The Osborne Collection

This is the front entrance to the Toronto Public Library.
I went here today on a school field trip for my Materials for Children class.
It has the most incredible special collection of children's books!



If ever you are in Toronto, take the time to go to the Toronto Library, and check out the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books. It's amazing!





We were shown original books dating back to the 1400's that were written on vellum (animal skins) with quill and ink. (We were also told how to make our own authentic quill pen.) Then we were shown original editions of books printed on the Guggenheim press with wood carving illustrations. So cool! Anyway, we followed the history of the printed book along with the evolution of the children's book. I would recommend that everyone check out this collection if ever they visit Toronto.
It would be fantastic to work in a place like this!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

That sounds so awesome! I want to go! :)

Sarah said...

How exciting to see somewhere you might actually like to work. I'm still looking for that. :) Hopefully there's a library like that here in the west though so you won't be so far away.

Ashley said...

So dreamy. Wouldn't you just die if you were able to work in a place like that?

Ron said...

It is time to think about how to get to work in a place that you would love.