Saturday, January 17, 2009

And So It Is...

As I try to think of an interesting way to write up this entry, a plethora of possibilities clutter my mind and make writing coherently a bit of a trial. Do I start with a musical reference? "Listen to my tale of woe, It's terribly sad but true." (Thanks, Ella!) Or how about painting a picture for you? "Picture in your mind, if you will, a luxuriously lazy Saturday morning..."
I think instead I'll just tell my story. I won't think about it, I'll just write as I go. That way, if it's incoherent, then we all learn that I'm naturally incapable of coherent communication.
Okay, enough of the preamble. Let me tell you about my experience last Saturday and the lessons I learned from it.
I truly was having the most luxuriously lazy Saturday morning last weekend. I slept in until 9:30, then made my way to my couch where I popped opened a frivolous novel (or brain candy Dad likes to call it) and proceeded to read with no real regard for the time. Around 11:00AM, I started thinking about getting off the couch, getting showered and ready for work (I had to be in at 1:00PM), and making myself a nice big brunch of pancakes, fruit, and an omelet, and decided to follow through with that plan once I finished another chapter or two of my book. Well, next thing I knew it was 12:00PM and I was still unbathed, unfed, and completely unready for work. So I slammed my book shut, hurriedly showered and dressed for work, then started getting breakfast together while I worked on making a lunch to take with me out the door. Now this is where things got "complicated." As you can well imagine, I was rushing around trying to complete way to many tasks for someone with my inability for multitasking. I got toast in the toaster oven (pancakes were suddenly off the menu), an egg frying in the pan (the omelet got scratched, too) and a container of apple sauce opened (no time for fresh fruit...I'd have to CHEW!) all while I sliced bread and pickels for a sandwich. It's when I got to the cheese that things got messy. As I picked up the knife, I thought to myself, "Be careful. You're in a rush so you'll cut yourself if you don't slow down." So slow down I did. I firmly grasped the knife handle in my cutting hand and delicately placed my other hand on the top of the blade to help guide it. As I gently but firmly pressed down, the cheese slipped, the knife twisted up and sliced deep into the ring finger of my right hand. This is where I learned that I'm not a traditional curser. As I pulled the knife from my finger, my exact words were, "BLAST!!!" followed with, "I don't have time for this!" (Yes, I actually spoke aloud to myself.) Quickly I turned off the stove where the egg was frying, and turned off the toaster oven. Then I looked at my wound. Needless to say, blood was pouring forth. I ran my finger under the kitchen faucet while I thought quickly about what I could do. I looked at the wound and thought, "Did I hit an artery?" (There really was a lot of blood.) But then I realized the wound would be spurting, not gushing, if an artery was involved. So, I got some papertowel and stanched the bleeding until I could get into the bathroom where my first aide kit was. (Even then, I have to admit that I left a trail of blood behind me.) I bandaged my finger as best I could with lots of gauze and bandaides. Then I tried to call my sister to see if her husband could look at it and let me know if I needed stitches. (I suspected I did, but wanted a second opinion.) I tried calling 2 times, but no one picked up on the other end. So, I quickly ate the egg and toast, finished my sandwich for my work lunch, mopped up the trail of blood, and rushed out the door with extra gauze and bandaides. About 4 hours into my shift, I changed the bandages on my finger and discovered it was still bleeding profusely. So, with new bandages, I finished my shift then headed to my sister's for that delayed second opinion... and discovered she and her family had been having a "stay at home and don't answer the phone" day. Of all days! Ryan, her husband, looked at my finger and said I should have got it stitched, but if I kept it bandaged tight it would be okay.
He was right. Look how nicely it was healing just a couple of days later.

So, lessons learned from this...

1. "Sluff Day" can be hazzardous to one's health.
2. Living alone can sometimes suck.
3. Sometimes we can get hurt even when we're trying to be careful.

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Haha. Oh man! That's not good. How is it now? I did that once, while I was cutting a tomato, I decided to cut my finger instead. But I think I swore ;).

Unknown said...

#3 is my favorite of all.It has great truth outside the context of physical pain. Oh how it stinks to be mortal!

Isn't it fun to actually write and not have perfect grammar every once in a while :) of course, i find myself wanting to go edit mine later....

Ron said...

Truth is that if you had bound that cut tightly together as Ryan described when you first administered first aid, your bleeding should have stopped very quickly. So, review your immediate bandaging procedure and if you did as Ryan described, then you should probably have your clotting time checked. Bleeding all afternoon is not usual for a clean cut like that.

Ardie said...

Yes, it was tightly bound all afternoon, so Ryan and I had the same concerns about my clotting time. I guess now that I have BC medical, that might be something I should look into. By the way, what are some nice natural methods of improving one's clotting? Maybe I can do a little self remedy.

Ashley said...

What a wonderful, coherent story. You write so well, even if it is about slicing your finger off. Sorry about the cut. Your day was sounding so beautiful until I read that you had to go to work.

Ashley said...

Oh yeah, I really like the shot of your finger. Very good focus on the close subject.

James said...

Nicely written post. It was fun to read. I hear that sitting all day in one spot can cause clotting in your legs that can be potentially lethal. But I don't know how to improve general clotting. See a doctor before you are forced to have some crazy surgical procedure that leaves a cat's butt on your head.

Ashley said...

haha sorry to laugh, but it was a funny story! i miss you ardie!

Anne Castle said...

Oww, Ardie. Oww! Oww! Oww!

Did you actually make it on time for work?

Mars said...

Yikes. Once my mom sliced her whole finger tip off with a can lid. Tuna I think. I don't know how many stitches, but it was not a band-aid fix, you can be sure of that!