Monday, November 12, 2012

Memory Lane

We had a big family dinner a week ago, and as we were sitting around the table chatting (which always seems to happen when we eat at my parent's place) Sharon brought up the topic of youth choirs. (A lady who knows of Sharon's incredible musical abilities told her she needed to start a choir for the youth in our church.) This naturally got us talking about the amazing choir director we had when we were young: Myra Tollestrup. And when Myra's name is mentioned, well, it's only natural that thoughts of taffy pulls, dipping chocolates, and Christmas concerts come to mind. 

I've been thinking about those taffy pull, chocolate dipping sessions and Christmas concerts all week. I'm missing those days. I'm wishing I could take a literal walk down memory lane instead of just a figurative one. But time changes things, and amazing people must eventually move on, so that walk won't happen the way I wish it would. 

That doesn't mean it can't happen differently, though. 

So, here are some "Memory Lane" activities I'd love to do this Christmas: 

Have a taffy pull. 
Go caroling--the old fashioned way.
Go sledding. 
Ice skate on the pond or lake. 
Have a Christmas sing-a-long with all our friends and family in the area. 
Read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever or The Fourth Wiseman...out loud as a group.
Take a walk at night and enjoy the Christmas lights.  
Drink hot coco by the fire with all the lights out after spending an afternoon outside. 

All of these activities have a very nostalgic flare for me. They are the happy memories of my childhood. And if I have my way, they will also be the happy memories of my adult years. 

What memories bring you joy? 

2 comments:

Ashley said...

So when you say, 'old fashioned' way . . . does that mean period piece garb? Oh, I hope so! ;)

Sharon said...

i'm up for all these things!
yes, ashley, don't forget your victorian garb :)