Sunday, November 18, 2012

Do You Need a Hug?

I often go to the daycares in my community and provide special storytimes to the kids who aren't able to  come to the library very often, because both of their parents need to work. Through this outreach program, I have become quite attached to these little people. It does my heart good to hear little voices shout, "Hey Mom/Dad, it's Ardie," when I'm out grocery shopping or running errands around town. It makes me feel like maybe they've become attached to me as well.

Yesterday one of my little daycare friends came into the library while I was working my shift on the Information Desk (-a hip library term for reference desk). She saw me and said in her little 3 year old voice, "Ardie?? What are you doing here? Look Mom, it's Ardie!" I told her that this was where I worked when I wasn't out telling stories to her and her friends. We chatted for a little bit, and then it was time for her to go. As she was starting to walk toward the exit, she stopped, turned around and shouted, "Do you need a hug, Ardie?" Well, who in their right mind would say no to a hug from such a sweet little friend? I said, "Of course," and she ran back and threw her little arms around my legs. She not only made my day, but she melted the heart of everyone in the library. 

One of the things I love most about children is how honest they are in their emotions. If they're mad at you, you know it. If they're happy, you know it. If they love you, you know it. That last one is something I would like to become better at. I don't expect to move mountains or part seas in my time, but by the time I leave this world, I hope to have become the kind of person that friends and family can say, without hesitation, "She loved me." 

It's amazing what I learn from these children. 

3 comments:

Ron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron said...

This posting warmed my heart. What a neat experience.

Sharon said...

so cute! you have such an amazing capacity to win the heart of children!