Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rock & Roll Anyone?

To celebrate my sister Sharon's birthday, I did the Seattle Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon with her on June 23. I was planning on walking the whole thing, so that's what I trained for. However, once I got to Seattle, I decided to change to the same corral as Sharon. Then on race day, when Sharon said, "Do you want to try running for a bit." I thought, "Why not?" So I ran. Then, I alternated between walking and running, until I couldn't do that any longer and then ended up doing a hobble/walk. (Sharon's in much better shape than me, so she had run ahead before we even finished the first mile.)

Not having trained to run distances, I had crippled myself by mile 8. My hips were killing me, and I was literally praying for strength to finish the race. By mile 11, I wasn't trying to run at all. I limped through that whole mile. By mile 12, I was counting down every minute. I would count to 60, curl in a finger, and start counting to 60 again. It took me 18 minutes to walk mile 11 (terribly slow, I know!) so I figured I was looking at another 18 minutes for mile 12. Then something glorious happened. I had counted down about 10 minutes when I looked into the crowd and saw my sister Sarah. (She had come down to cheer us on.) She saw me and came out to walk beside me for a bit. That took my mind off my pain and gave me enough strength to hobble/run again. I actually was able to limp/run across the finish line.

I'm glad I did this with Sharon, but I think if I ever do it again, I'll either train to run or make sure I stick to walking the whole way. It's been almost a month since I ran the 1/2 marathon, and my hips are still giving me trouble. If I was smart, I'd look into that.

This is not a picture of my toes (I couldn't get my camera to take a clear shot), but it is what the left toe beside my big toe looks like right now. I developed a blister under my toenail, which resulted in my losing the nail. I do believe that runners feet are hideous! :)

2 comments:

dsw said...

Ardie! Great to see you back in the blog-o-sphere and having much better times than what seemed to be a rather bad car experience! All the best.
dw

Sharon said...

my right foot is the exact match to your left! you are awesome for being so game... can't wait to do it next year, right?!