Today was a horrible day at work. As soon as I started my shift, it seemed that each and every customer was angry and taking it out on me. After only 1 hour into my shift, I felt drained, and frustrated, and on the verge of going postal. Around my 7th hour, I was doing everything within my power not to reach across the counter and throttle the customers in front of me.
However, there was one poor lady who really needed some help. She was from out of town and she'd lost her keys somewhere in the store. She had 3 young children with her, and no spare key available. Unable to leave my counter, I tried to assist her as best I could, but that really just ended up being handing her a telephone book and our phone. An hour later, as I was just signing out, she came up to the counter wanting to try the phone book again, hoping she'd find someone who could help her. I handed her the book, silently praying that she'd get the help she needed so she and her kids could get home. I grabbed my stuff from my locker and headed to my car. When I got to my car, a thought hit me. Sure, I was hoping and praying this lady would get some help, but I wasn't really doing anything active to assist her. (Don't forget, I'd had a miserable day. That's my excuse for being so slow in realizing I could do more for her.) So, I took off my work shirt (yes, I had another shirt underneath), and then walked around the parking lot looking for the lady and her kids. Sure enough, I found them standing around their car unsure of what to do. I asked the lady where she'd been in the store (it's a HUGE store), and told her I'd just run in and take a look. I decided to start in the childrens' clothing section, and as I was walking around, I thought, "Why don't I see if anything was turned into the checkout counter." So I went to the desk and asked if any keys had been turned in. The lady at the counter gave an enthusiastic "yes" and handed over some keys for an Acura (just the car that the poor lost keys lady was driving). I took the keys out to the lady and her kids, and sure enough, they belonged to her. So, yes, I do believe in miracles, but I believe that it's easier for miracles to happen when we apply a little effort and do something to help them happen.
4 comments:
I truly believe that the times we are tested the most are the times we are exhausted and/or overwhelmed. Way to pass your test, girl.
I am sure you were the right one to effect that miracle. Bless you for going the extra mile. It is where all of the action happens.
Good Job Ardie! :)
That's a good story. Most times it is so much easier to pray for a miracle that to be a part of one.
Post a Comment