Monday, August 24, 2009

School

I have a lot of catching up to do, but first things first. I have a promise to keep. Here is the scoop on my "getting back to school" drama.
As you are well aware, UBCO didn't want me in their secondary education program, so I was patiently waiting to hear if they wanted me in their elementary ed. program. I thought I was a shoe in because not only did I have an excellent education from BYU, but I also had a few years experience teaching in elementary schools AND I had excellent references from the Head Master and Pre-school director from Challenger School. Who wouldn't want me? Well, UBCO didn't. All of my wonderful experience, education, and letters of recommendation were not enough to get me into the program. I was missing 6 credits of Canadian Studies and my university math and lab science were just over 10 years old which meant they were useless. (You want to know what's useless? UBCO, that's what!) They even claimed that my degree from BYU (Humanties) was useless to them because they didn't have a corresponding program. BALDERDASH!!!! If they don't have a corresponding program, then why do they have a section in their bookstore called Humanities AND a secondary education program called Humanities/English/History for people wanting to teach those subjects. I obviously don't have a lot of respect or patience for UBCO any more.
Anyway, long story short is I've registered at UBCO for the 2 Canadian Studies courses that I'm missing and the Math and Science courses that unknowingly had expiration dates on them. School begins Sept. 8.
Here's the thing, I don't want UBCO to get any more money from me then I absolutely have to give them, and I'm not sure I want to get my degree from them anymore. Any suggestions on schools that would get me that teacher's degree ASAP? I'm very open to your ideas. USA, Canada, it's all good.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Well Ardie! Sounds like you are opening to alternatives. I would even consider BYU if I were you. Might be some nice fellows there by now!

Liz Ward said...

Anywhere in Utah has got to be an awesome choice! Salt Lake, Provo, anywhere along the Wasatch Front really... Just think of all the climbing and adventures we could go on!!!

Tracy said...

Can you get the credits you need to work in BC schools at a US university? If so, what about WWU? Western Washington University in Bellingham? It's actually a really beautiful campus and a really cool city too. Of course, living close to us would be an added bonus as well.

dsw said...

Hi Ardie- thanks for the update and sorry to hear the run-around! Where to go to nail down the credentials required to teach where you want...

Hmmm. I have no experience in BC education circles. I have heard in Ontario, town of Peterborough, that Trent University has a good ece and/or teaching certificate program (and Peterborough is small town compared to other institutions in ON. Just a brainstorm thought - nothing to qualify it with. It may be worth a website visit.

All the best,dave