Thursday, February 12, 2009

Get Out! Get Out!

First, imagine me dressed in formal wear standing in front of a large crowd and singing some Italian aria for French love song... Not that hard to imagine, right? You know that I've actually been there... done that.
Okay, now try to imagine me not so formally dressed up, standing in front of a mic surrounded by electric guitars, drums, keyboards, and screaming "Get out! Get out!" into that aforementioned mic. Not as easy an image to pull up, eh? Yes, it's hard for me to imagine, too. But apparently that's what being expected from me now.
Here's the scoop...We have a church approved band that gets together every second Thursday for a jam session. They call it "Music Night", but what it has really been is 3 men in their late 3o's and early 40's getting together to play a little hard rock. They're surprisingly good and quite entertaining, and they've been not so subtly suggesting that I join and become the lead singer. Hmmmm. Obviously they don't know me all that well, because 1. I don't have the voice for hard rock, 2. I don't really know any hard rock, and 3. I'm a bit shy and incredibly inhibited. However, I recently received the assignment of music chairman, and this music night falls under my sphere of responsibility. So, I went tonight and attempted a little singing/screaming into the mic. It was a fiasco! I had no idea when I was to come in. I had no idea how the songs went. I was absolutly and completely 100% out of my comfort zone. And yet... in 2 weeks time I have to go back and do it all again.
So, who knows. Next time you see me I just might surprise you. Instead of mild mannered Ardie, I very well might be an uninhibited, raging rocker.
And then again, maybe some things are just to difficult to change.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

OH man.. I am laughing.. Have you ever tried to do RockBand on Nintendo Wii? It helps me get in touch with my inner Rocker ;)

Jonesy said...

Ardie the Rocker...whooda guessed? I suppose life leads us in strange directions, but I never saw this one coming!!! Have fun!

Tracy said...

That's so random because I had almost the same identical experience when I moved into my ward here two years ago! After two practices I bowed out because the loud music gave me the worst headaches I've ever had in my life, I felt like I was literally ruining my voice, and I hated that they didn't have any sheet music for me(only the lyrics typed on a page).

Mars said...

Wait, what kind of calling requires you to be in a hard core rock group? Why is a band that includes screaming lyrics church approved? Also, this sounds amusing. Video forthcoming?

Andi said...

Hey Ardie, I'm so glad I found your blog! Ok, I've heard the band several times and yeah, they are pretty good. I knew it was only a matter of time before you turned to the dark side. Rock on Ardie! Can't wait to hear you at the next stake dance!

Sharon said...

I'm just waiting here for the next installment of your thursday night adventures. :)

James said...

Ha, ha. I was lead singer in a band in Lethbridge for a while. I got so nervous about it that I could no longer even listen to music--it made me think about the next time I would have to sing. I quit because I couldn't handle it. I couldn't see an upside. No pleasant rush of adrenaline, just pure fear and nausea.

James said...

Ardie I started a blog to post my story a chapter at a time. You can link to it and make suggestions if you like.

jamesroughdraft.blogspot.com is the address for my story. Check it out. You can start on too and we can help each other out.