I received a special request to write something new on my blog, so here I am. There's nothing really to report except the random thoughts I occasionally have. Here are today's random thoughts...
I was sitting in church today kind of listening but mostly letting my mind wander, and suddenly I thought, "What makes people (myself included) divulge tremendously personal information to complete strangers?" As I sat there letting my mind wander, I came up with a few possible answers.
1. It's an attempt to justify poor decisions or bad behaviour. (To cynical. I didn't like that thought.)
2. It's our way of trying to give support to someone in a difficult situation.
3. It's opening the door to a new friendship.
4. It's an attempt at making a real human connection that will ensure that a part of our story will be remembered even after we're gone.
I think there might be a bit of truth in all those thoughts, and I'm sure there are even more answers that I've overlooked. But that's as far as I got in my mental wanderings at church today. All I know for sure is that such moments make us incredibly vulnerable and leave us open to possible ridicule and disdain. As Ingrid Michaelson states: "We are so fragile and our cracking bones make noise/ And we are just breakeable...girls and boys." And yet we continue to open ourselves up to the possibility of getting broken. Maybe Regina Spektor says it better with,
"Now, this is how it works
You peer inside yourself
You take the things you like
And try to love the things you took
And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone elses blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again.
So maybe from this I learned not to mentally lable someone as "crazy" when they randomly share their deep dark secrets. Maybe I should pause and try to hear if there is more to what they are saying. But if there isn't... well, I guess it is then safe to call them crazy. :)
3 comments:
Haha I love it.
busted... you were totally listening in sacrament. I know exactly what talk prompted your thoughts. :)
Dang! I wish I could've been in church with you today! Sounds like a doozy! Love those! :) We get them frequently in my ward too... I love that Regina song! Miss you!!!
Post a Comment