I think I've mentioned that I'm working at the Real Canadian Superstore right now. Well, I've been struggling with my pride in this job. I find myself wanting to tell people that I have 2 degrees and that I'm only working at the store to help me get my third degree. I'm embarrassed about my job. I shouldn't be, though. It's honest work and it's helping me pay my bills and remain independent right now, and I'm so grateful to have work. And yet...
Today I helped serve two classmates from my elementary and high school years. I could feel the blush creeping up my neck as I helped resolve their grocery problems. I wanted to tell them everything I've accomplished since graduating from high school. I wanted to tell them of all the places I've visited. I wanted them to know that I really have done something with my life. But I didn't. Instead I just smiled and tried to pretend that I wasn't feeling so embarrassed.
But you all know the truth.
3 comments:
I FEEL THE SAME WAY!! and completely understand how that feels! It's like yahoo, a job, that's what I needed. Crap. I have to see people I knew once upon a time, and they might assume that I've been working here since High School?!? Yup. Fully understand. But I keep telling myself it's going to get me where I need to go.. and that's what counts. Right?
No need for embarrassment- start teaching voice and let your credentials work for you.
We've all been there Ardie. I remember when James and I first moved to California and I didn't have a green card yet, but I did have a Master's degree. It was humbling to work as a nanny as well as the volunteer work I did for a few social service agencies. Especially when my volunteer supervisors didn't even have a Bachelor's degree. But, in the end it was a good thing because when I finally did get my green card, I was able to get a position at one of those same agencies that I was qualified for and the pay was excellent.
James also did a lot crazy jobs at that time that he was way over-qualified for. He's got some funny stories from the jobs. There were lots of interesting people that he worked with at that time.
Post a Comment