Monday, July 25, 2011

Struggling Young Readers



My dad asked me for some titles that would be good for children who are reluctant readers, and I've got something better then that. I've got a whole Canadian publishing company that is dedicated to this cause. It's called Orca Book Publishers, and it provides interesting stories for children/teens/adults who find reading challenging. These are not your "See Spot run" books. They actually provide interesting plots for appropriate ages groups. The brilliant thing is that Canadian librarians see the value of these novels, so chances are good that you'll find some in your local library.

Here are some actual titles that children might enjoy:
( I found these titles in the Orca Echo's section of the website, which is for ages 7-9.)
1. Mystery of the Missing Luck by Jacqueline Pearce
2. Smuggler's Cave by Sonya Spreen Bates
3. Marsh Island by Sonya Spreen Bates
4. Ghost Wolf by Karleen Bradford

I found these titles in the Orca Young Readers section of the website, which is for ages 8-11.)
5. Addison Addley and the Things that aren't There by Melody DeFields McMillan
6. Dog Days by Becky Citra
7. Feather Brain by Maureen Bush
8. Hero by martha attema

Check out these titles and more one the Orca website if you have a reluctant reader and are interested in learning more.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Thanks Ardie, we will check this out

Sharon said...

cool. i'll have to try these on edwin.