Saturday, February 27, 2010

What a day

What a day! I woke up to the news of the earthquake in Chile. My nephew, Alex, is serving a mission in Concepcion, and so immediately I started worrying about him. I talked to my sister (his mother), and she was anxiously waiting for any kind of communication that would let her know Alex was okay. Thankfully, just before I headed out the door for work, we got the call that he was okay. Happy news!

Then at work, there was a hit an run in the parking lot. Some stupid shmuck hit a blind man's seeing eye dog and made the situation worse by yelling and cursing at the blind man before driving away. Thankfully, there was a witness to write down the license plate number of the fleeing vehicle, and thankfully the dog appeared to be no worse for wear. That stupid, STUPID driver is going to be in a world of trouble when the police catch up to him! I must admit my eyes welled up when the blind man and his dog came to customer service to give his report to the RCMP.

Finally, with only 2 hours left of my shift, we had a code Adam. That is a missing child code. This child had been missing from her father for over an hour before he came to us to let us know. I was panicking inside. Who waits an hour to ask for help when a CHILD is missing??? Once again, thankfully, the girl was found out in the parking lot playing in the mud 5 minutes after the code Adam was called. That was possibly the longest 5 minutes I've been through, though.

Anyway...what a day! I'm exhausted...emotionally and physically. Completely and positively drained. However, I'm tremendously thankful as well. Each of these situations could have turned out completely differently, but they didn't. My mom always says, "He watching over Israel slumbers not, nor sleeps." Today I believe that to be true.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Wow, that was a crazy day! Thanks for the reminder that God does watch over us more that we usually realize.

Sarah said...

Wow! What a day! I spent mine blissfully skiing in the Alps completely unaware that there was an earthquake anywhere. I noticed that Mom had tried to call so called back and got the news right away that Alex was safe before I was even aware that I should be worried.