
In Flanders Fields
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
I love celebrating Remembrance Day! I love hearing the bagpipes play, seeing the veterans march by in their uniforms, and hearing the moving speeches, poems, and songs that honour the veterans who fought for our freedom.
I hope one day to know a time when war no longer exists and peace reigns. But even if I am blessed to see such a day, I hope to never forget those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for me.
I hope one day to know a time when war no longer exists and peace reigns. But even if I am blessed to see such a day, I hope to never forget those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for me.
1 comment:
Nice entry. We owe much to those who paid for our freedoms. Possibly one way to insure peace would be to send our aged to war instead of our youth. Maybe the international disputes would then be more quickly resolved, if the failure to resolve them would be that the politicians would end up on the front lines.
Post a Comment