Tuesday, July 21, 2009

These past few years I've kept myself active with hiking, biking, rock climbing, snowshoeing... you get the picture. But I haven't been running. Just after Sharon finished her 1/2 marathon, she learned about something called a Try-a-Triathlon, and we decided we wanted to train for it. This mini triathlon is completely manageable (3km run, 300m swim, 15km bike ride), but as I said, I haven't been running lately. I went on my first run today since the summer of 2006. I wonder if my running muscles have atrophied because it was everything I could to do transition from a quick walk to a slow jog. My legs just didn't want to make the running motion. I do believe tomorrow I'll be walking a little stiff legged.
In other news, there are massive fires in our area that are making the air all hazy and smell smoky. The fires are in Westbank (about 1hr southwest of Vernon) and have already destroyed 3 homes. As I was running, I noticed that ash was falling from the sky. We had fires like this in the summer of 2003, but reports have been saying that these fires are worse then the fires of 2003. On the potential bright side, maybe the fires will kill the pine beetles in our area and allow new regrowth to occur. There's always a silver lining to every dark cloud, right?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Good job doing the Try-a-Triathlon! (did I get that right?) That's awesome. I want to eventually do something like that, but I've been bad lately, and have spent too much time on the computer.. and reading.. than actually working out. OOPS!

That's crappy about the fires!! I hope they don't come any closer to Vernon, or how am I supposed to visit Ardie there? BUT I am all for getting rid of annoying bugs that ruin growth. How rude.