The weather has been the main point of interest here in the Okanagan this past week, and today is no exception. I was out at the Whibley's for our annual Pioneer Picnic this afternoon. It was a lovely humid and incredibly hot day, so as I left the picnic, I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach. However, as I went to my car, suddenly the sky went black and and the wind came gusting in making the trees bend down and touch the ground. I kid you not. As I drove home, I saw trees uprooted in their yards and even had to maneuver around a tree across the road. Suddenly the lightning started. Lightning was striking about every 7 seconds and the thunder came half a second after the lightning. This storm was right on us. The rain started coming down in a torrential downpour when I was just about 2 minutes away from home. At home, I rushed inside to make sure there weren't any open windows to worry about, and that's when the marble sized hail began pelting down. This was the biggest storm I've ever been in in all my 34 years. It was amazing! I just wish there were people here to enjoy it with me. Imagine running down streets that had become mini rivers. It would have been so much fun! (Once the lightning stopped of course. ) Anyway, the winds and lightning don't bode well for the forest fires here, but the rain is certainly a wonderful thing. I'll download pictures once I find my adaptor.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Hurricane?
The weather has been the main point of interest here in the Okanagan this past week, and today is no exception. I was out at the Whibley's for our annual Pioneer Picnic this afternoon. It was a lovely humid and incredibly hot day, so as I left the picnic, I decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at the beach. However, as I went to my car, suddenly the sky went black and and the wind came gusting in making the trees bend down and touch the ground. I kid you not. As I drove home, I saw trees uprooted in their yards and even had to maneuver around a tree across the road. Suddenly the lightning started. Lightning was striking about every 7 seconds and the thunder came half a second after the lightning. This storm was right on us. The rain started coming down in a torrential downpour when I was just about 2 minutes away from home. At home, I rushed inside to make sure there weren't any open windows to worry about, and that's when the marble sized hail began pelting down. This was the biggest storm I've ever been in in all my 34 years. It was amazing! I just wish there were people here to enjoy it with me. Imagine running down streets that had become mini rivers. It would have been so much fun! (Once the lightning stopped of course. ) Anyway, the winds and lightning don't bode well for the forest fires here, but the rain is certainly a wonderful thing. I'll download pictures once I find my adaptor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awe I love it! I am so jealous! I TOTALLY would have ran in those rain-made rivers with you!
PS: your french on my page was perfect ;) I need to start practicing.. so I don't suck in August. Ugh. How's school going and everything with you?
Can't wait for the pics! I LOVE storms, too, though I could do without all that hail..yikes!
Wow, Ardie! Are the house and the trees in the yard still standing. Marble sized hailstones might have done serious damage to the tomatoes.
Hey there! Love the new hair! When are you coming down? I still miss having you as a climbing buddy!
Post a Comment