Monday, January 16, 2012

Insomnia?

I went to a White Elephant party on New Years Eve and ended up with 3 used books as my walk-away gift. Being a librarian, it seemed appropriate that I would end up with this gift. Well, one of those books was something called "The Heir". The cover of the book made it look like a British historical novel.


Since I'd never heard of this author, I decided I would broaden my horizons and try to read the book. I like to read before I fall asleep, so, this past weekend I picked up the book with the intention of reading for an hour. I opened it up and started laughing.

Here's what I saw under the front cover:




Oh dear! Too funny!! Well, trying to be a good, impartial librarian, I decided to push forward and give it a chance. I mean, I read my first Harlequin last winter for my Genre's class and this couldn't be as awful as that, right?? Well, I read 9 pages and was so bored that I immediately fell asleep. Unfortunately, I woke up at 4AM because I had fallen asleep so early the night before. Fortunately, I still had the book by my bedside. I picked it up, hoping it would put me to sleep again, and I was not disappointed.

I'm sure "The Heir" is ridiculously funny and possibly even entertaining for some people, but I don't think it's worth the boredom to truly find out. However, it does seem a good remedy for insomnia.

If you're looking for a copy, come to my library's books sale. There's one waiting there just for you.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great sales pitch ;)
I've had the opposite problem with books i've been reading lately. They keep me up reading until the wee hours of the morning because I don't want to put them down.