Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Delighted

For the past few weeks, I've been weighed down with the worry of a possible faculty strike. What this would mean for my graduation plans, I didn't know. Would I lose the term? Would I have to take out more loans to finish my schooling? Would I be reimbursed for the classes my professors failed to attend? Would any of these hiccups be worth the inconvenience? All unnecessary stresses that were incredibly unwelcome and out of my control.

Well, 12AM today was set as the time when the faculty could legally walk off the job and strike. Yesterday, it looked like an agreement wouldn't be reached in time, and my schooling would be disrupted while the unions held the students hostage for their demands. (Sorry, I don't have a high opinion of modern unions.) Thankfully, at 3AM today they reached a tentative agreement, and my classes have not been disrupted. So very glad about that.

Other good news is that my "Issues" papers have been deemed "excellent", and the professors have requested a copy of my most recent paper to use as a proper example of how to write for the Critical Writing workshop that they are making the majority of grad students attend. (More good news is that I don't have to attend those workshops!)

So, I'm busy, but I'm succeeding! Who would have thought?!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That's awesome Ardie!! Great job!!

{you should see if you can comment on my blog now.. eh?}

dsw said...

Awesome was also my immediate take on your post! I had read a little about UWO strike potential and contemplated how that would translate into much hassle.

Good to hear you've emerged from that mid-fall period of hectic times and unfortunate added concerns AND set some new bars while you were at it!

All the best!
dw

Ron said...

I'm thinking that you shouldn't be so surprised at your academic success and just enjoy being on top. Now I would really like to see some fall colors photographed from your area.